Want to live a longer, healthier life? Don’t restrict entire food groups. Be balanced.
The Mediterranean approach to eating puts emphasis on small portions and freshness, as well as the pleasure of eating. This is one of my key food guidelines: have fun — eat with enjoyment and gratitude in order to feel nourished.
Adopt a Mediterranean eating style without moving to the French or Spanish Riviera;
- Have generous amounts of fresh vegetables daily.
- Eat healthier fats such as olives, olive oil, nuts, and avocado.
- Include legumes such as chickpeas (whole or as hummus), lentils, and borlotti beans on a regular basis.
- Include more fish and eat less red meat.
- Enjoy fresh foods prepared at home.
- If you choose to drink, choose red wine (just one glass, two at most).
- Get moving — be more active.
- Take time to relax and de-stress, as well as enjoying meals with others.
A typical Mediterranean-diet day would look like this:
- Breakfast: a bowl of fresh fruit topped with Greek...